Do you have knowledge of, or an intense interest in, wine and
spirits, and perhaps fine cheeses? And maybe craft cider and beer? Do you see
yourself as a proud representative for all local growers, vintners, distillers,
Palace Market, the family-owned independent grocery store in downtown Point Reyes Station, is looking for a hardworking and enthusiastic Wine and Spirits Maven to join our team. Our store offers local, natural, conventional, and specialty products. The Wine and Spirits Department focuses on California with some familiar favorites and more than a few single vineyard wines and small production and hard-to-find gems. We support organic and Biodynamic growing and so-called “natural” winemaking. We support independent distilling.
This is an opportunity for 3 days a week in our Wine and Spirits Department with the possibility of additional shifts in other departments if full time is desired.
How will your days be spent?
- Providing concierge-level customer service and consultative selling and upselling to all kinds of customers! Using your ability to educate and sell to create repeat customers and to maintain solid relationships with our vendors and customers alike
- Doing instructional in-store public tastings (typically once a week or so)
- Talking to strangers
- Receiving, cutting, labeling, demoing, rotating, pricing, stocking, facing and merchandising
- Maintaining a clean and safe work environment — Dusting, scrubbing, cleaning and maintaining a general tidy appearance are all a part of the job
- Being at least 21 years of age
- A grasp of spelling and software used in the wine business
- A knowledge of, or keen interest in learning about, wine, spirits, and cocktails
- Physical capability of regularly lifting 40+ lbs (cases of wine/spirits, wheels of cheese), squatting, bending, reaching, and standing for 8+ hours a day
- The ability to play well with others, but to be self-motivated when appropriate
- Availability to work weekends, holidays, mornings, and evenings
Hopes and Desires:
- 3+ years Wine Country hospitality or wine club experience or wine and liquor sales or bartending or other transferable know-how, or 1+ year experience with education/knowledge to back you up
- A nerdy awareness of craft cider and beer and specialty food products
- California Responsible Beverage Service certification and ServSafe certification are encouraged
Benefits and Perks:
- Employee discount storewide!
- For full-time employees, medical, dental, and vision insurance, matched 401(k), sick pay and paid vacation time
- Samples of cheese, tastes of wine, sips of spirits; tours of farms, creameries and distilleries; a full immersion into the heart of the North Bay cheese scene
Compensation very much depends on experience.
To apply: Email or drop off (8am to 8pm) your cover letter, résumé, and 2+ professional references. We will be arranging interviews over the next few weeks for the most qualified applicants.