Acting on own initiative, the Quality Systems Manager directs and coordinates all activities to assure the successful development and maintenance of the ISO 9001:2008 Quality and FSSC 22000 Food Safety Management Systems as well as any other external standards such as Organic and Deutsche Landwirtschafts-Gesellschaft (DLG). This position manages internal and external audits to drive continuous improvement through the Delicato Operating System and Food Safety manuals. By ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures, is responsible for recommending, developing, implementing and managing the quality and food safety systems and representing Delicato during 3rd party regulatory and surveillance audits as they relate to Delicato's Quality Systems.
The position also supports Lean Thinking, Lean Initiatives and work that ties into the Lean Philosophy.
- Understands, communicates, and shares Company vision throughout division/organization and provides cross-functional perspective, direction, and support
- Provides leadership and personal support; leads by example
- Drives Company focus, manages culture, encourages strong work ethic, and fosters an environment of trust and respect
- Communicates and supports Company policies and decisions in a positive manner
- Handles employee issues, concerns, and complaints in an objective and confidential manner
- Provides employees with a safe, comfortable, and rewarding work environment
- Provides input and assists with the monitoring of the department budget
- Directs the efforts to achieve and maintain registration of, and or compliance with ISO 9001, FSSC 22000, and/or other quality and food safety system standards
- Leads management review meetings that include the effectiveness and suitability of the Quality and Food Safety systems, objectives, corrective action requests, audits, and other improvements or nonconformities
- Works jointly with Federal Compliance to support FDA audits and ensures compliance to Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) regulations
- Oversees adherence to all sections of the Quality and Food Safety manuals; controls the updates and revises as necessary, works with other departments when changes occur, and publishes fully revised manuals as needed
- Executes and oversees the consistency and timeliness of controlled document updates, revisions, and document standardization for all document owners, to adhere to document retention policy
- Manages the Corrective Action Request (CAR) log, assigns to appropriate staff for corrective action, and ensures compliance through the life cycle of CAR to resolution
- Oversees Quality and Food Safety objective reporting, reports objective data to Company Scorecard as requested, and reports on missed targets to the responsible department
- Trains and manages the cross functional internal audit team throughout the year ;reviews submitted audit reports to ensure completeness and corrective actions are submitted if necessary ;posts completed audit reports on Cork for review by department managers or external auditors ;performs internal audits on areas where there’s a need or gap
- Contracts/schedules external audits, represents Delicato during audits; coordinates involved departments, gathers and prepares documents requested for audit, attend audits, distribute correction actions as a result of the audit to the necessary departments, ensures corrective actions/recommendations have been completed in a timely manner.
- Performs Gap Analysis to the current Delicato Quality and Food Safety Systems to proactively meet external and internal customer expectations. Report and recommend to the ISO Top Management Team when applicable.
- Implements annual ISO training schedule and advises department leaders to achieve the ISO schedule ; provide training to new hires at all locations as applicable.
- Food Safety Team Leader - manage the food safety team and organize its work; ensure relevant training and education of the food safety team members.
- Embraces Lean culture and Lean way of thinking as it relates to some of the basics such as Standard Work and Audit of Standard Work.
- Develops, writes, formats and publishes Standard Work. Proficient with Microsoft Publisher.
- Create, manage and keep the standard work audit schedule current.
- Create, manage and keep the standard work audit score cards for each department current.
- Drives information request projects from both internal and external customers (domestic and international); ensures completion of requests for quality or food safety systems questionnaires
- Special Projects as requested (e.g. production employee apparel/promotional item ordering, space planning/reconfigurations)
*Other duties may be assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Industrial Technology, Business, Organizational Management or comparable discipline or related field. 5 or more years related experience in a manufacturing environment (bulk wine, liquid filling and warehousing operations a plus). Expereince with HACCP.
- Lean Certifications and/or experience with TPS preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Solid analytical skills for data driven decision making - highly detail oriented
- Must be able to lead meetings with different employee levels
- Proficient with MS Window Suite – Work, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, verbal and written; effective author with strong sense of grammar capable of writing/creating professional level reports and business correspondence
- Excellent customer service skills, professional and pleasant disposition; ability to diffuse tensions under stressful conditions; good listener.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, self-motivated with the ability to prioritize and quickly assess what needs to get done
- Must be able to multi-task multiple complex projects; strong time management skills
Certificates and Licenses
Acceptable driving history with valid Driver’s License
General manufacturing plant work
At times, may work in noisy and dirty conditions
May be required to travel between job sites for project oversight
- Acts in a manner reflective of the Company culture of High Moral Standards, Innovation and Continuous Evolution, Trust in Team, Continuous Improvement, and Sustainable Relationships
- Communicates, interacts, and works effectively with others; receptive to feedback and coaching; voices concerns in a constructive manner
- Demonstrates commitment to safety first; communicates safety concerns; promotes a safe work environment based on established safety standards and training
- Follows all Company policies and procedures
Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
Delicato Family Vineyards offers its employees a generous and comprehensive benefits package. The core health insurance components include medical, dental and vision, where Delicato covers nearly the entire cost for employees and a large percentage for dependents. Additional health benefits include life, disability and flexible spending accounts. Other benefits include 401(k) with generous company match, discretionary profit sharing, paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, wine & merchandise discounts, tuition reimbursement, gym discounts & many more.
Delicato Family Vineyards is an Equal Opportunity Employer.