The Director of Communications is responsible for developing and executing all strategic communications (Corporate, internal and external) which support business goals and the company’s desired image among all key audiences. Provides counsel and support to executives and individual departments for their communications needs. Develops, designs and implements communications strategies and programs. Creates key materials for internal and external audiences to reinforce the company culture, value proposition as well as engage/motivate employees ensuring they understand and support the company’s objectives. Ensures consistency and alignment of both messaging and timing between internal and external communications.
- Understands, communicates, and shares Company vision throughout division/organization and provide cross-functional perspective, direction, and support
- Provides leadership and personal support; coaches, guides, nurtures and develops the right people
- Drives Company focus, manages culture, encourages strong work ethic, and fosters an environment of trust and respect
- Develops group and individual performance plans in alignment with Company goals and objectives; communicates clearly and defines individual and group objectives; maintains level of productivity in unit
- Trains employees to do their job; sets standards for work performance
- Monitors performance and provides feedback to direct reports through formal and informal performance feedback; regularly communicates with staff to achieve mutual understanding and desired results
- Recognizes and addresses performance strengths and limitations of subordinates
- Manages employee attendance to ensure compliance with Company standards; approve/monitor overtime
- Communicates and supports Company policies and decisions in a positive manner
- Develops staffing needs, selects new employees, makes recommendations in job evaluation and compensation, and recommends termination actions
- Conducts team meetings with department employees; includes monthly safety topic, ISO, DOE and other applicable training
- Handles employee issues, concerns, and complaints in an objective and confidential manner
- Provides employees with a safe, comfortable, and rewarding work environment
- Prepares and monitors department overhead budget
- Responsible for creating an annual communications plan and calendar. Collaborates with and advises the executive team, Human Resources, and Public Relations to develop, design, and establish tactical and strategic communications which help build a high performance culture, align employees with objectives, and maintain the company’s image and brand
- Ensures that the planning, development, and execution of communication considers all audiences/levels; addresses the unique needs of the business units and geographies; is consistent with and aligns to company practices and messaging, supports business priorities and objectives, as well as company values and goals, and enhances the employee experience and image of the organization
- Handles highly sensitive, confidential communications, initiatives/projects, and advises senior leadership on associated communication strategies and issues.
- Leads and manages communication strategy and execution during crises.
- Determines delivery and manages the flow of information to diverse audiences to drive engagement and alignment; focuses direction and efforts on understanding what audience is to be reached, what message is to be conveyed and what delivery platform is most effective (webcasts, face-to-face, video, online, print, social media, email, etc.).
- Works closely with the CEO and COO as needed in preparing presentations, scripts, written messages and talking points; ensures messages are clear, accurate, appropriate, consistent, and effective
- Provides guidance and support to key stakeholders with regard to routine and non-routine messages and/or announcements. Supports communication plans for events including, but not limited to: All Employee Meetings and Global Sales Meetings, to ensure alignment with Delicato’s communications strategy and business objectives
- Provides strategic support for mergers and acquisitions activity, change management initiatives, training efforts, company wide projects or initiatives
- Identifies opportunities to enhance the employee experience, improve the company’s value proposition and communicate the company’s values, including community/industry involvement and commitment to social responsibility
- Develops and contributes compelling and relevant content for the company Intranet, career website, and other corporate initiatives; structures content with subject matter experts to communicate with employees, reinforce key messages and create calls-to-action
- Balances multiple concurrent communications projects with key stakeholders throughout the organization while ensuring that deadlines are met throughout the process
- Writes and edits content for various communication channels and serves as the editor of Delicato’s employee newsletter and other employee communications by managing the planning, soliciting and writing of articles and approval process. Works with the Creative and Digital teams as needed to deliver and update content
- Anticipates future needs and take projects from ideation to deployment
- May negotiate contract terms with outside agencies/suppliers
- May design and produce necessary print and graphic materials
- May assist with external communications efforts/projects as needed
- May assist with crisis management
*Other duties may be assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in business, communications, journalism, public relations, marketing, or related field
- Six to ten years job related work experience required in one of the following areas: internal/employee communications, general communications, and/or public relations
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent research, writing, and editorial skills, with demonstrated ability to communicate complex or technical information
- Experience working with executive-level individuals and the ability to quickly understand, distill and respond to their needs
- Experience with MS Office products including Outlook, Word, Access, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Experience managing internal communications via SharePoint or similar Intranet platform preferred
- High level of concentration; ability to understand and conceptualize specific ideas and theories
- Ability to respond to assignments with little or no notice and manage shifting priorities
- Must have the ability to handle conflicts and successfully manage multiple projects concurrently
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment independently
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail and interpersonal, influencing skills
- Strong consideration given for skills in print/layout design (desktop publishing tools and visual/graphic layout)
- Acts in a manner reflective of the Company culture of High Moral Standards, Innovation and Continuous Evolution, Trust in Team, Continuous Improvement, and Sustainable Relationships
- Communicates, interacts, and works effectively with others; receptive to feedback and coaching; voices concerns in a constructive manner
- Demonstrates commitment to safety first; communicates safety concerns; promotes a safe work environment based on established safety standards and training
- Follows all Company policies and procedures
Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
Delicato Family Vineyards offers its employees a generous and comprehensive benefits package. The core health insurance components include medical, dental and vision, where Delicato covers nearly the entire cost for employees and a large percentage for dependents. Additional health benefits include life, disability and flexible spending accounts. Other benefits include 401(k) with generous company match, discretionary profit sharing, paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, wine & merchandise discounts, tuition reimbursement, gym discounts & many more.
Delicato Family Vineyards is an Equal Opportunity Employer.